Saturday, March 13, 2010


I have recently moved onto my first big construction site, and it's huge and a touch intimadating when you first walk into the site shed and the morning and there are just people everywhere. But i should really painta better picture with my water colours here, of the 1400 people on site there are at this point some 10 women, i'm ok with that I chose to work in a trade full of men so i'm not fussed about that or the girly poster's on the walls. call it what you want but i'm not a feminist or anti-feminist i just generally don't care all that much.

some of the oh so clever guys have decided that women shouldn't be wearing make on site, i'm not talking about putting on make up like ur going out on the town but the basics, some of the girls like to wear for there own sake not to impress any of the guys.. I should add that generally i don't but that's just me i honestly couldn't be fucked with it, but my point is this do women have to compeletly sacrafice all feminine habbits to conform with the men? or shouldn't they just be allowed to do whatever they like?

It all comes back to why women wear make-up and paint their nails (i add again i rarely paint my nails but again that's just cause i'm hugely lazy), is it for yourself and your own state of mind or is it to impress those around you. And if it is for your own state of mind than is that really healthy shouldn't a woman be comfortabl enough in her own skin to not need to hide behind a layer of stuff? then again my mother awlay's did tell me that i should care what other people think of the way i look, mind you she was probably saying that to get some sort of balance from my i couldn't give shit attitude.

I vaguely remember studting some feminist stuff at uni and something did come to mind about all this who -ha third wave feminism and post-feminism saw the acceptance that women aren't one image they are contradictory and have different views but also that women now take feminism for granted kind of like why would i burn my bra when i actually like wearing it - it's my favourite one! so instead of the great push that women shouldn't wear make-up for the male dominated audience instead we wear it for our own benefit, and yeah i want to work in a male dominated trade but that doesn't mean i should have to sacrafice being a woman!

Anyway i say just do whatever you wantand be totally awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment